Always Rhubarb and Cake

Sunday, November 20, 2011


We have spent much of this spring rehabilitating our vegetable garden. We documented each step from digging, collecting manure and through to labelling each row as it was planted. The rhubarb had been flush with growth for the last few weeks. Then to my horror, as I tried to find the photos, I found the memory card had corrupted. That will teach me to procrastinate, but for now we still have rhubarb.

We have been eating stewed rhubarb on cereal, rhubarb muffins and best of all rhubarb cake. Here is the recipe for my favourite, Rhubarb Cake.

Rhubarb Cake


150g Butter
3/4 cup Sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 c Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup milk

Topping:
250g rhubarb chopped
1/2 cup sugar
1Tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 190 degrees C and line a 25cm square tin. Mix topping ingredients and set aside.

Cream butter and sugar. Gradually mix in eggs. Sift together flour and baking powder. Stir in the flour mixture, alternating with the milk.

Spoon batter into the tin, leaving it in lumpy mounds. Add spoonfuls of the rhubarb mixture between, around and on top of the mound. Tip the remaining topping over the batter before putting into the oven.

Bake for 40-45 minutes.


Forgive me if I have shared this recipe before. I am nothing if not consistent.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I love rhubarb, and your cake recipe sounds delicious. I'll have to save it for spring, when our rhubarb comes up.

    One of my favorite rhubarb recipes is Rhubarb Crisp. It's a simple mixture of rolled oats, butter, flour and brown sugar with sweetened rhubarb layered between. Mmm... Spring seems a very long time away here in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm rhubarb. I'm always saddened and confused that my beloved doesn't like it. You can't go wrong with rhubarb and ice cream.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I would love to hear from you.

Search This Blog

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *