Summer Distractions and Vegetable Gardens

Sunday, January 26, 2014


Every spring I start looking at my vegetable garden.  The needles get put down in favour for spades, hoses and time outdoors. Sometimes it hold my attention, other times things get a little despondent by the end of January - lack of water (or watering), white fly and plants bolting to seed.  This is not one of those years. 



So far we have had :
  • Peas and potatoes ready for Christmas, if only we had been at home to enjoy them.  
  •  Avoided the tomato glut by just planting cherry tomatoes for myself, admitting that I am the only one who eat them
  • My first success with climbing beans  - it's true you really do get more than with dwarf beans
  • A successful strawberry bed - the answer to millipedes is to plant flowers instead.  Probably doesn't taste any good, but they looked fantastic.

I'm planning to make the most of the remaining summer and even thinking about the winter ahead.  The leeks are in and I'm contemplating brussel sprouts.  The slow winter growing and cold weather however, does make sewing, thrifting and crafting a little more appealing.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. We've been enjoying beans, zucchini, cauliflower and broccoli from our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had to start giving away cucumbers - they have been so prolific this year. I plant a lot of rainbow chard and celery for winter vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the main tomato consumer here too, so it gives me free rein to grow whichever varieties take my fancy :). Green sausage, black krim, yellow pear... Gotta love an heirloom tomato straight from the garden. Your beans look amazing - I have only ever grown dwarf ones xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I would love to hear from you.

Search This Blog

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *