The Secret of Scones

Monday, November 09, 2009


I have a new found appreciation for scones*. When I was growing up they were the staple. Mum would whip them up at a moment’s notice when visitors were imminent or the shearing gang needed feeding at the woolsheds. They were part of the fabric of our home. Mum made it look easy. I didn’t appreciate this until I had a hankering for Devonshire teas and tried making them myself.


Little E and I have been experimenting but this weekend she had a lesson from the master.


Mum says that it is the method, not the recipe so here is what you need to know:
Cold – keep the butter cold, rub in by food processer where possible
Baking Powder – more than usual, 2 teaspoons to each cup of flour
Fast – Mix the milk in with a knife, make it quick and stir as little as possible
Hot – Have the oven set to 200-220 C


So now you know. Hopefully my next batch of scones will measure up.


*Scone is a British term, in the US you might know of them as biscuits.
**Yes, that is my Dad doing a cameo appearance in the first photo.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Americans call scones biscuits? But they're nothing like! Well, unless you're me - in which case, you get hubby to make them for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sweet little girl with the thumb in her mouth looks so much like my own, who grew up to be a lover of scones! We do have scones in the US, as well as biscuits, but those look like what we call scones. Starbucks sells them and I think that really increased their popularity here. I'm sending your tips on to my daughter, thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. at our house, we love scones! In the USA, they're definitely different than biscuits. Going to make me up some this weekend, I like mine with hot apple cider when it's chilly.
    ~anna in md, right near my hometown of DC, www.bohemiancotton.blogspot.com/
    ps Amy, did you find my email?
    annafogg1@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely photographs ~ I can smell them now! xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I would love to hear from you.

Search This Blog

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *