I Heart Blankets

Thursday, September 26, 2013


My favourite part of a blanket would have to be the satin along the edges. These cushions celebrate blanket ribbon in all it's hues and leave the satin edge free for little hands to explore.

Growing up, we only slept with blankets when were at my grandparents. There is a certain security in going to sleep with the satin edges clutched between fingers.  For me, it means that, even though I'm away from home, I've been tucked in by someone who cares.

These cushions are made out of a collection of blanket samples for Onehunga Woollen Mills.  Each came with its name written on a small adhesive label.  In stops and starts I have been sewing the name of each colour onto it's respective sample since 2010.  We have everything from the blues of  seascape and navy, to the very pale whites of natural and eggshell.

And as an added bonus, they are nice to snuggle up with too.



You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. wow!

    i love the names. but what you made. wow, i love them with all my blanket lovin' heart x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I heart blankets too! And have that same association with satin edges and childhood security. So these cushions are right up there on the scale for me, I love the colours names that you've stitched too. Have you made up names for the ones missing that were missing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out that I only had to make up a name for the "Pink Check", given that the blue one was called "Blue Check" I hoping I can't go wrong.

      Delete
  3. Wow these are lovely, what a great idea and love how you have put the names on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was the names that took the longest. About a one episode of "Call the Midwife" each.

      Delete
  4. What fab cushions to snuggle up to, they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I love the idea and concept of these cushions what an awesome soothing and sensory experience it is for children. Thanks for popping by blog and for your lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I would love to hear from you.

Search This Blog

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *